Monday, March 14, 2011

Earthquake 2011 - Update 1

I know, I know...pretty weak to post an update 10 seconds after you post your first entry, but at least I am posting again. I will do my best to keep things updated but am making no promises.

Things are far from normal, even in Tokyo. They have instituted rolling blackouts to conserve energy, and to prevent more demand than they can supply which would likely cause more panic. This is resulting in all sorts of additional difficulty. Many trains are running on a limited basis, or not at all (especially if they run through an area that is blacked out) so getting to and from work can be difficult to say the least.

In order to conserve energy many large manufacturers (Toyota, Honda, Sony, etc.) are suspending production and even reducing hours at their corporate offices. Many large department stores are not opening, or limiting their hours to of operation to 5-6 hours during the middle of the day. And most all of the stores that are open as using at most 1/2 of their lights, and using heating & coolers as little as possible.

It feels strange for Tokyo to be this "dark" and have so few people out

I know this seems pretty well lit, but I will post this same picture when things are normal so you can see exactly how "dark" it is.

The typically bustling department store at the train station closed today at 3:00.

Likes like a scene just prior to a hurricane or snow storm in Charlotte...only this is the rice shelf. It has been this way for 3 days now.

The produce

Milk cooler

Not sure what happens when the sushi runs out, but I am sure it is not pretty

the bread shelf

the snack shelf. Not even any fish jerky.

1 comment:

  1. I am so ecstatic to get the full update. I heard from Paul R. that you guys were ok but knew nothing more. I can not even relay how happy I am to "hear" your voice so to speak and your response. Thank you so much Brian for taking some time to do this. I am sure it is not easy. Much love to you all and I will continue to send good mojo vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete