Sunday, November 4, 2012

Yanaka Day Trippin

Aya and I enjoyed our "Health & Sports Day" national holiday by spending the day touring Yanaka.  The holiday is celebrated on the 2nd monday of October to commemorate the opening of the 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo.  Its a shame they did not win the bid to host the 2016 games...I am sure no one would turn down another holiday.
Never thought I would see the dixie flag on a side street in Tokyo... 
...especially at an R&B bar, but I guess both are southern and go with Jack Daniels.
A long line for famous menchikatsu, think breaded and fried meatloaf and then immediately get in line
One of many temples located around Yanaka 
 A cool "sticker" on the gate to enter the temple
I am fascinated with the alleys in Tokyo 

Another alley that has been turned into an arcade and houses many small restaurants and food/snack shops 
 A Japanese senbei (rice cracker) shop 
 Aya and I both really like this house.  It is so simple yet has so much character.
 A modern wall made using tradition tiles to create patterns in the stucco...
 ...and a historic earth wall directly across the street
I am also fascinated with the old derelict buildings in Tokyo 


 Time to enjoy a beer and one of those world famous menchikatsu while we rest our feet after a long day of exploring
there is not a line in the world long enough to make me pass up fried meatloaf 
the view from the makeshift street 'bar' in front of the woman on the lefts alcohol store 
doesn't every dog need a pair of overalls?  Tokyo makes me realize how ridiculous American dogs must feel walking around 'naked' all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment